Monday, October 21, 2013

"Better than a restaurant" Crispy Carnitas

This weekend was one filled with serendipitous success as well as an unexpected epic fail. The fail happened first.

It all started last Thursday when I was flipping through a Barefoot Contessa cookbook looking for inspiration for the weekend menu. My boyfriend passed by and saw a picture of penne in a vodka cream sauce and got very excited. I was a little intimidated by this particular recipe so I did a little research and found a recipe that looked a little more sure fire. I had planned for Saturday to be somewhat themed, all Italian, maybe a little romantic. As I prepped the meal I was feeling confident in the fairly basic ingredients and prep work. However, as I started adding ingredients and the cooking process was coming to an end I wasn't feeling so sure. The color looked nice, the texture... questionable, the taste... burned with the taste of vodka. I thought a cup seemed like a lot and it was. A pound of perfectly cooked pasta went in the garbage and two tummy's had more wine than food in them. I'm not sure who was more disappointed, me or my boyfriend, but I am now on the hunt for a recipe that contains much less vodka and will change my mind about this sauce.

Well, after this horrible fail comes Sunday morning, my time to start prepping for another recipe I have never tried before and my confidence was in the balance. My inspiration for this one came from a local Mexican restaurant my boyfriend and I have been to and have found our go to dish to always be "carnitas tradicionales." I have always felt like it was something I could conquer at home and now I wasn't so sure. I didn't want 7PM to roll around and have three pounds of pork shoulder finding the same fate as the pasta, but, I figured as long as I have a back up plan (you can always order pizza) in my back pocket, why not give this a whirl! That's how you learn and the only way to find out a way to make it better next time, or to never have a next time.

This time I reminded myself of two things that I somehow pushed from my conscience Saturday night. 1. ALWAYS trust your instincts and 2. To quote Julia Childs "No matter what happens in the kitchen, never apologize." It is definitely a learning process and trial and error is inevitable when trying new recipes, so don't get discouraged.

The initial preparation of the crispy carnitas made me start to question it a little and the smell in the first few hours of the crockpot had my boyfriend asking my "what was in it" because he thought it smelt a bit questionable. I guess I can't blame him after serving him inedible vodka covered pasta. Some of the doubt was pushed from my mind when I sampled the almost cooked meat and once I got to shredding it, I realized it was going to be fantastic.

This recipe starts in a crockpot and needs time to cook and meld and then ends crisping up under the broiler. I served it with tortillas and a few simple sides (recipes included too!) My boyfriend said it was "as good as the restaurants" and I had to agree. It was a very satisfying meal that I will for sure make again.

Confidence reclaimed and my boyfriends taste buds happy!

Crispy Carnitas Recipe:

Ingredients:

Pork Roast/Shoulder - about 3 to 4 pounds
1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
1 large onion diced
3-4 garlic cloves minced
8 oz. beer
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. chipotle Tobasco sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

First step, dice the onion and garlic, put them to the side and have them ready to go.

Next, prep the pork shoulder. I had a bone in pork shoulder and cut the meat off the bone, trying to discard any excess fat along the way. My goals was to cut chunks that were about three inches long and about and inch and a half thick. Once you have your chunks of pork cut heat about a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Once sizzling place the pork in and sear the two larger sides. Once the pork is seared remove and put on a plate. Then, grab the prepped onion and garlic and put about half of them on the bottom of the crockpot. Layer the pork on top of that and then sprinkle on the remaining onion and garlic.

In a bowl combine the seasonings and beer and give it a little stir. Pour the mixture evenly over the pork and onions. Turn the crockpot to low and heat until the pork is easy to shred. Between 6-7 hours.

Once the pork is cooked and easy to shred prep a large cookie sheet by covering with tin foil. Turn the oven broiler on high and move the rack to the second from the top row. Now, remove the pork from the crock pot with a slotted spoon and place on the cookie sheet. Use a fork to shred the pork. *Note, don't shred it too small. Larger chunks will get crispy on the outside but won't lose the moisture on the inside. Once it is ready to go pop it in the oven for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take it out and toss with a tongs and then take about a quarter cup of the liquid still in the crockpot and drizzle over the pork. return back to the oven for about another 5 minutes. Remove and serve with warm tortillas, super easy pico (recipe below) and refried refried beans (recipe below too).


Super Easy Pico Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 tomato diced
1/2 onion diced
2 Tbsp. cilantro finely chopped

I don't even know if this is a recipe, but this fresh mix of a few key ingredients really adds something extra to this meal.

Dice the tomato, and half an onion and combine in a bowl. Take a chunk of cilantro and try to paper towel off excess moisture and chop it small. *Here is a great tip... use a pizza slicer to chop the cilantro. A few quick flicks of the wrist and you will have finely chopped cilantro. Combine about 2 tablespoons of the cilantro to the onions and tomato and allow them to sit and meld for about a half an hour before serving.


Refried Refried Beans

Ingredients:

1 can refried beans
1/2 onion diced
3/4 cup shredded cheese
3 Tbsp. sour cream
Olive oil

First preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then warm a bit of olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add half an onion, diced, and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Just until they start to get translucent. Add the can of refried beans, stir together and warm through, about another 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and add the sour cream and about a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Put the refried bean mixture in a small baking dish (about 1 to 1.5 quarts will work) and then top with the remaining half cup of cheese. Put in the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.


 
Crispy Carnitas, Refried Refried Beans and Super Easy Pico.


I like to layer mine on a nice warm tortilla as follows.... beans, pork and then veggies... yummy!
 
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment