Friday, October 18, 2013

Tater Tot Hotdish

I feel like it would only be appropriate to start off with a recipe that was one of the first meals I probably ever made. Slightly different now then the 13 year old very picky version I made though. Hotdish (a.k.a. casserole for anyone outside the Minnesota border) was a staple when I was growing up. This one being a mixture of hamburger, veggies, cream of mushroom soup, tater tots and cheese and probably seen in several versions.

My version has been perfected over my time back, primarily because the first time I made it for my boyfriend he was confused what I had made for him... because my original version wasn't like the kind he grew up with. After a few alterations and trial and errors we have now both found just the right balance of what we like.

So let's get started with what I consider a Minnesota classic!

Ingredients:

1 lb. hamburger
1 medium onion diced
salt and pepper
1 can of corn (I like green giant sweet niblets)
1 - 1 1/2 cups frozen green beans (I like the French cut)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 bag tater tots

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


First step is to combine the hamburger and diced onion in a large skillet and brown over medium heat. While cooking season with salt and pepper. Cook through and then drain.



Next, return the drained meat mixture to the skillet. Drain the can of corn and add it to the meat, also add the frozen beans and warm up, no more than two minutes. Then add the two cans of cream of mushroom soup and mix thoroughly and warm up for about another minute or two.




Transport the meat and veggie mix to a baking dish.




Top with almost all the cheese, about 1 1/2 cups. Then top with a single layer of tater tots (I get a little bit neurotic when I put mine on and try to make it pretty!) Finish off with sprinkling the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the tater tots. Put the hot dish in the preheated oven for one hour.




Remove and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
 
 
 
 
Finally, plate up and enjoy!
 
 
I hope you enjoy this version as much as we do!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment